Monday, January 17, 2011

Let Them Eat Molton Chocolate Cake

I work in an office that is 90% women. This fact has both it's perks and it's downfalls. This morning, it had a major downfall. I arrived to the office to find a group of ladies crowded around one individual who was crying her eyes out over something that was hardly even noteworthy. It all seemed a bit dramatic for 7:30am on a Monday morning and I worried that the rest of the day would inhibit feelings of utter disgust and annoyance toward the ladies in my office. So, I mysteriously "came down" with something and came home. Fortunately, my boss is easier to fool than my Mother was in my childhood days.

I told Ryan months ago that I'd learn to make him molton chocolate cake. Promptly after saying I would do it, I forgot about it. He reminded me the other day of this fact and I felt wholly obligated to pay up on my promise right away. So, yesterday, I tried them only to find that they're much easier to make than I had anticipated. The longest part of the process was waiting for the oven to heat up.

Ingredients:
2 3/4 sticks of butter (11 ounces)
10 ounces bittersweet chocolate
6 eggs + 6 egg yolks
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
foil baking cups

1. In a double boiler (or a mixing bowl sitting on top of a pan with simmering water), melt together the butter and chocolate stirring occassionally. Let cool a bit.

2. Whisk together sugar, eggs, and egg yolks.

3. Combine chocolate mixture with egg mixture, then slowly add the flour.

4. Pour batter into greased foil cups. Bake at 450 degrees for 5 to 6 minutes.

Most the recipes I found called for 8-ounce foil cups which I was unable to find so I used the 4-ounce Reynolds cups and they worked just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment