Monday, January 24, 2011

Once Upon A Banana Cake

A long time ago in a land far away, I was a baker. When I moved to Oregon, my cake decorating may have taken a back seat but my baking improved. I loved days off with a glass of wine and a set of clean measuring spoons that I could meticulously put to work. I never thought I'd make the switch from baker to cook but it happened. Now I feel bogged down by flour sifters and hand mixers. There's a lack of freedom in baking albeit a certain satisfaction that if you follow the recipe to a T, you'll end up with something delightfully fragrant and surely tasty.

Perhaps my transformation from baker to cook stemmed from my job. My office is always full of crappy baked goods (I call them bads) from the grocery store or local thrifty bakery. I've slowly been losing my lustre for pastries, cookies, muffins, etc. I have, however, never been unable to rid myself of a near passion for bananas in baked things.

Having said that, this is a super-easy recipe for Banana Cake that is always a hit.

Ingredients:
2 tsp. Baking Soda
a touch less than 4 cups Flour
2 sticks Butter
2 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
4 large Eggs
1 cup Sour Cream
1 Tbsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
6 very ripe Bananas

1. Sift together soda and flour. In a medium size bowl, peel and mash the bananas.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar until evenly mixed. Mix in eggs. Mix in sour cream and vanilla. Add flour mixture a little bit at a time. Add bananas.

3. Pour into a cake pan (9" x 13" or 9" round) and bake 1 hour at 340 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment