Saturday, January 15, 2011

A New Year of Blogging About Chile Rellenos

My sister is a committed blogger. I think she treats blogs almost like a cyber-scrapbook. With a busy life like hers, I don't blame her. I find my simple life rather savory that way. I have no responsibility to chronicle memories for anyone other than myself. What little of my day-to-day life that I deem noteworthy is generally summed up in a picture, or a few sentences written in colorful, fine-point markers in my journal. If anyone found it, it wouldn't be embarrassing because I'm the only one it makes sense to. I prefer it this way. A healthy shroud of mystery is gravely underrated.
In any sense, reading through my sister's blog reminded me that I have one of my own about one of my favorite things: cooking. I've been gathering gangs of great new recipes that are either scribbled on splattered and smudged pages of a spiral notebook or their stuffed haphazardly inside the front cover. Now that Ryan works hard and works late, I'm more motivated to feed him well and I have more time to myself. So, perhaps I'll rededicate myself to cyber-recipe writing. Hopefully someone tries some of these sometime.

Last week I was feeling ambitious and decided to try making chile rellenos. A dish that I feel is rather easy to screw up. I was horrified to learn that Ryan has never had them. A disgraceful and tragic fact that needed an immediate remedy. So, I went for it. I think I came up with a pretty simple recipe.
For the two of us, I made six chiles which was just about the right amount.

Ingredients:
6 Anaheim chile peppers, charred and peeled
about 1/2 lb. cheese, cut into strips (I used pepper jack for extra spice but cheddar is fine)
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. canola oil

1. Remove seeds and membranes from peppers. Stuff each pepper with a strip of cheese.

2. In a small bowl, combine milk, flour, egg, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and canola oil. Mix well to make a batter.

3. Pour enough oil in heavy frying pan (I used a cast iron skillet) to reach 1 inch in depth and heat over medium-high heat. Roll each pepper in the batter. Fry until lightly browned on both sides.

I served mine on a bed of freshly made salsa and topped it with salsa, freshly made guacamole, and a little cheese.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know about committed, but I do use it like a scrapbook. And, if you read my recent blog post about eating bland food, you will know how excited I am to try this recipe in particular. I'll let you know how it goes! ;)

    ReplyDelete