Friday, August 26, 2011

Crafting up Cinnamon Chicken

Planning wedding is a real nuisance.  While my ceremony will be incredibly small, and I’ve finally found an amazing wedding planner (after working with one for several months only to have her stop contacting me completely), I keep finding myself hung up on all the little details.  Today’s detail is what to wear in my hair for my big day.  I think I’ve got a hairstyle nailed down, now it’s just a matter of containing my patience by letting it grow.  What’s more obnoxious though is how much it costs to find a pretty fabric flower hair piece that’s affordable.  All I can think is “I can totally make one of these on my own”.  This is both a perk and a pitfall in my life.  I would say that if there is any one thing I’m naturally really good at, it’s crafts.  I have a peculiar knack for creating things that I would never use for any reason.  My decorative tastes are less “cutesy” than most women but I really enjoy doing crafts, despite having no desire for them in my own life.  Today I’m going to try my hand at fabric flowers so I can make a lovely and affordable hairpiece for myself that I’ll only wear once.

I can’t help but wonder how many crafts out there I should be making and selling.  Ryan may have to tolerate a hoard of fabric, ribbons, pearls, stamps, scrapbook paper and so on for awhile so I can avoid getting a second job and make extra wedding cash off something that I’m naturally skilled at.  I wonder where this talent came from.  It’s probably the Mormon in me.

Moving on...
I took a big risk yesterday in my kitchen.
As I’ve mentioned before, Ryan and I have been bestowing ingredients on one another to create a meal with.  His latest assignment for me: cinnamon.  I can only suspect this was a ploy to get me to bake.  He failed in that regard but it did spawn some creative culinary thinking on my part that had potential to go really, really bad.  Had I known that it would actually turn out quite lovely, I wouldn’t have spent so much time apologizing to him beforehand about how terrible it was liable to be.  I basically made chicken breast marinated in a cinnamon mixture.

Ingredients:
1/4 Cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 Cup fresh lemon juice
A bunch of ground cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
Pepper
Skin-on chicken (legs, thighs, breast, whatever)

All the ingredients are pretty much a marinade for the chicken.  Mix it all together and toss it in a Ziplock bag for a couple hours.  I decided to roast mine at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes on both sides.  I boiled the leftover marinade with a bunch of sugar and spooned about a tablespoon on each piece of chicken just before serving.  
The skin gets a nice, dark crispiness to it and the chicken should be juicy and delicious.

In the end, the risk paid off and this easy, easy, easy recipe will be added to the regular rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment