Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Finally Destined for Mac & Cheese

I’ve decided that the creators/producers of Final Destination 5 lack understanding of what the word “final” actually means. As if the plot of the first Final Destination wasn’t awful enough, they made four more just to get the point across, I guess. Maybe when they make the last one, they’ll call it Final Destination: Finally.
I’m over it with most movies these days. It feels a bit like Hollywood is lacking creativity in that they’re always remaking books, remaking older movies, or creating prequels and sequels to movies that were bad to begin with. As soon as they latch onto an idea, it’s immediately played out. Case in point: superhero movies. Batman, Spiderman, Superman, The Hulk, Dare Devil, Hellboy, Electra, X-Men, Captain America, Punisher, The Green Lantern, etc., etc., etc. In the past decade or so, I can think of nearly 20 superhero movies that have come out...and that’s just off the top of my head. I’m not even INTO these things.

As far as sequels are concerned, I’m glad they finally put an end to the Saw series and as for Final Destination 5, spoiler alert: at the end of the movie, they refund my money.



So, I made some macaroni and cheese last week. Well, it wasn’t macaroni exactly, it was really orecchietti and cheese. Pasta and cheese though...you get it. It’s easy, it’s fast, it’s customizable and it’s delicious (despite being cram-packed with carbohydrates and fats).

Easiest Mac & Cheese EVER.

Ingredients:
2 ½ cups elbow noodles
¼ stick of butter
1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 green onions, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
¾ C milk
¾ can of vegetable broth
¼ C bread crumbs
Salt
Pepper

1. cook noodles in boiled, salted water until tender but still firm to the bite. Drain & set aside.
2. Put bread crumbs in a small bowl and set aside
3. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add ½ Tbsp. of the butter to the bread crumbs and combine with your fingers, set aside
4. Add flour to the butter and whisk together. Once texture is even, add milk and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
5. Add green onions to milk mixture and remove from heat. Immediately add cheese and stir until it’s completely melted. Add noodles and stir until noodles are evenly covered.
6. Pour mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Broil dish for about 2 minutes, or until bread crumbs are browned.

I did my broiling in my toaster oven as I’m not a fan of waiting for my oven to preheat so I can put something in it for literally two minutes. This is one of the many, many reasons I prefer owning a toaster oven instead of a microwave.

Because this recipe is so easy, you can vamp it up as much as you want with proteins and veggies. I added a fair amount of cayenne pepper to my bread crumbs for that muy caliente appeal that I’m so fond of.

No comments:

Post a Comment