Friday, February 27, 2009

Danny, Emily, Peanut Butter and Jelly

I get frustrated when people have pet names that are the names of humans. I always felt like pets should have sidekick names or ridiculous names. I have a neighbor who was dating a guy named Danny. Danny was a funny dude with an absolutley amazing mullet and a Mustang. This neighbor of mine has a dog that is so sweet and friendly. It doesn't bother anyone but is still pretty happy-go-lucky. One day I saw Danny taking the dog for a walk and I got talking to him for a few minutes. Come to find out, the dog's name was Emily. Sharing a name with a dog is bad enough but having the keeper with the same name as your brother...that's just adding insult to injury.

Who doesn't love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?? I had a conversation once about how people make their PB&J. Come to find out, making them the way I do makes me a complete freak. However, everyone has their own method and I decided to do a psychoanalysis on people's method of making their sandwiches. What kind of bread? Creamy or crunchy peanut butter? What kind of jelly? Do you use the same knife for both ingredients? Do you toast the bread? A lot of factors went into the questioning but sadly, the results were inconclusive.

Today, I'm sharing one of my favorite recipes ever: Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars. This treat has made me pretty popular up here in Oregon so next time you need someone to tell you you're amazing (if only because you made a good snack) give these a shot.

2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 extra large eggs
2 cups creamy peanut butter
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
18 oz. jam (I like strawberry or raspberry but you can whatever kind you'd like)
2/3 cup salted peanuts, chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grean & flour 9x13x2 baking pan.

2. Cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla, eggs, and peanut butter.

3. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Combine with peanut butter mixture.

4. Spread 2/3 of the dough in the pan then layer all the jam over the top. Drop small gobs of dough on top of the jam and sprinkle the top with the peanuts. Bake 45 minutes and let cool before cutting up and serving.

1 comment:

  1. I have a request. You ought to make these for the next office birthday party...

    ReplyDelete