Thursday, February 12, 2009

If Looks Could Eat Asparagus Soup


You know that phrase "if looks could kill"? Well, if it were possible to die of cute, this English Bulldog puppy would totally do it for me! Haver you ever seen anything so adorable in your life?? Yeah, sure, your kids are cute or whatever but oh my GOSH!! Have you even SEEN this puppy??? Cutest. Thing. Ever.




Whenever I think of Asparagus Soup, I think of a cream based soup. I love asparagus and find it tragic that oftentimes the taste of the asparagus is overwhelmed by cream, milk, cheese, what have you. This is a really simple soup that you can cook quickly and focuses on the hearty taste of the asparagus. It’s pretty earthy but is really good with some French bread for dipping.




½ onionSplash of oil

4 cups vegetable stock

1lb. asparagus

4 celery stalks

Salt

Pepper


Dice the onion and sauté in a stockpot with the oil.Once onions are soft and lightly browned, add vegetable stock. While stock is cooking, finely chop celery and snap ends off asparagus. Add celery and asparagus to pot. When asparagus is bright green and soft, pour all the soup into a blender and puree. (I used an emersion blend and just pureed the soup in the pot.)Pour soup back into pot, salt and pepper to taste. This recipe is super, super easy and I love the outcome! I added about 1/3 cup of milk to mine at the end to make it a tiny bit creamier. If you want your soup to have a creamier taste to it, substitute some of the stock for milk or cream. You could also add a potato to the soup as well, although I chose not to. I seasoned mine with a lot of white pepper but you could really have a lot of fun with this.




No comments:

Post a Comment